Microchipping galore
Hey all,
most of you wont know the bollocks rule that the government has decided on- all people wanting to put microchips in animals now have to go through a training course and qualify as a certified microchipper. Putting microchips in is just like giving a vaccine needle- it goes in, press, pull out. So most vets are annoyed at having to fork out for being taught something they have been doing for years.
For us measly students, we have to give 15 microchips under supervision. I was struggling to get the numbers, so I volunteered to help at the local council microchippping day. I needed three cats to get my certificate.
I turned up, and between me and the other vet there, we chipped over 200 animals in 4 hours. It was nuts. What added to the day was the fact that this was in Werribee, which is the bronx of Melbourne. So the majority of dogs were either Rottweilers or Pittbulls disguised as other dogs. The other vet got bitten, not badly.
I had one dog that was being aggressive, but I managed to put the needle in and chipped it. Then found the chip on the floor a couple of hours later... Oh well, that's karma for trying to bite me.
The vet I worked with was an interesting lass- in the first 10 minutes of meeting her she told me that people of Werribee were dickheads, that vet students were idiots (especially asian ones), that all vets in the area talked out their arse, and my favourite, about the head vet down the road- "I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire" Lovely lady really. Deep down. Maybe.
I've already lost count of animal neuterings, I'm about 5 somewhere for the week... Think I'll give up on that counting idea.
Oh, and saw "Crash" last night, its a great film if you havn't seen it. It's all about human interactions and sorta racism in LA, very emotional film. Can't say much more than that, cos it doesn't follow a conventional plot, its one of these films that show about 10 different stories and they all bump into eachother through the film. I give it 3.5 stars.
Cheers for the messages all, Hannah hurry up and get down here. Same for Matt and Becky. And also the rest of you, come visit, it's starting to warm up again!
most of you wont know the bollocks rule that the government has decided on- all people wanting to put microchips in animals now have to go through a training course and qualify as a certified microchipper. Putting microchips in is just like giving a vaccine needle- it goes in, press, pull out. So most vets are annoyed at having to fork out for being taught something they have been doing for years.
For us measly students, we have to give 15 microchips under supervision. I was struggling to get the numbers, so I volunteered to help at the local council microchippping day. I needed three cats to get my certificate.
I turned up, and between me and the other vet there, we chipped over 200 animals in 4 hours. It was nuts. What added to the day was the fact that this was in Werribee, which is the bronx of Melbourne. So the majority of dogs were either Rottweilers or Pittbulls disguised as other dogs. The other vet got bitten, not badly.
I had one dog that was being aggressive, but I managed to put the needle in and chipped it. Then found the chip on the floor a couple of hours later... Oh well, that's karma for trying to bite me.
The vet I worked with was an interesting lass- in the first 10 minutes of meeting her she told me that people of Werribee were dickheads, that vet students were idiots (especially asian ones), that all vets in the area talked out their arse, and my favourite, about the head vet down the road- "I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire" Lovely lady really. Deep down. Maybe.
I've already lost count of animal neuterings, I'm about 5 somewhere for the week... Think I'll give up on that counting idea.
Oh, and saw "Crash" last night, its a great film if you havn't seen it. It's all about human interactions and sorta racism in LA, very emotional film. Can't say much more than that, cos it doesn't follow a conventional plot, its one of these films that show about 10 different stories and they all bump into eachother through the film. I give it 3.5 stars.
Cheers for the messages all, Hannah hurry up and get down here. Same for Matt and Becky. And also the rest of you, come visit, it's starting to warm up again!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home